Monday, May 24, 2010

The things I missed while I was away

Everyday, I find that discover something new. Well, something new to me at least.

Things like my favourite restaurant having closed down 3 years ago. Or Prozzak making a much more serious album back in 2005. Or Hamasaki Ayumi's change in musical style. The rise of social networking tools and how Youtube has been making people famous. And then there's the ridiculous number of films I missed out on.

Well, it's not like I literally missed everything over the last few years. I did watch Being Erica from its premiere episode to its second season finale all on my TV. I went out and bought David Usher and Ingrid Michaelson's last albums and caught that first Twilight movie as it hit the theatres.

Ever since things were changed in my life in a profound way a few years ago, I feel like I've been shutting out everything around me. Sure, I still watched the news and still picked up on some new iterations of things I had already been interested in. But my mind would block out anything that might be new in my life, even if I knew I would interested.

Maybe it was that survival instinct kicking in, making me want to hold onto familiar things and fearing change. Doing so did let me start to heal but sometimes it feels like I lost those years of learning while I was trying to hold on. And in discovering these new things, it feels like I'm trying to catch up to the present.

My friends may be surprised at what I missed but when I discover these things, my eyes do still light up and my fingers do tingle. And in the end, getting that feeling all the time after so long can't be all bad, can it?

No comments:

Post a Comment